According to My Middleton in Dig On For Victory we have 9 tasks this week :
1) Routine Work. - Regularly hoe and weed. Control insect pests. Watch out for mildew on tomatoes and onions. Mulch around crops such as runner beans with leaves or grass mowing to protect during dry weather.
2) Leeks and Celery -Feed leeks with a liquid manure, Water ion dry weather. At the end of this section, a brief about slug control is mentioned using Meta & bran, or Meta & dried blood. The Meta turns out to be Metaldehyde (the blue slug pellets that are due to be banned for outdoor use soon in the U.K.).
3) Attack Celery Pests. - Spray with Bordeaux mixture once a fortnight.
4) Broad Beans and Runners.- When in flower syringe with water occasionally. Kill black fly with a soapy spray.
5) Wage War on Caterpillars. -
6) Sow for Salad Successions. - make regular sowings of lettuce and radish.
7) Look to Potatoes, Onions, Leeks. -Earth up potatoes. Feed onions weekly now. Blanch leeks by drawing up soil around them.
8) Protect Cucumbers. - shade greenhouse plants from the sun
9) Take Care of Fruit. - Spray for aphis when necessary and thin fruit if and when required.
- ► 2019 (13)
- ► 2018 (24)
- ▼ June (8)
- ► 2013 (33)
- ► 2012 (49)